Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Allergy Adjustments

If you have been follow our colicky saga with miss Nora, you know that the last few months have been a real struggle for Phil and me. Nora has had a very hard time with all kinds of tummy trouble, and on Friday I finally got the doctors to listen to me.

After seeing her regular Neo doc, a Ped. doc, and a GI doc, taking more x-rays, and stool sample tests-they think they figured out the problem. Nora not only has acid reflux, but also a cow's milk protien allergy.

Unfortunatly, what that means for us is either a switch to a hypoallergenic formula, or if I want to keep nursing, an extremely restrictive diet for me. After doing a little research on just what I would have to cut out, we decided that we will switch her to formula. The diet excludes not only all dairy products but everything containing and dairy protiens or forms of dairy protiens which amounts to almost everything but fresh veggies and fruit. On top of the huge challenge of maintaining such a strict diet, one mistake on my part could have very bad consequences for Nora.

To deal with the acid reflux, the doc prescribed a liquid version of zantac, and we are already seeing results from that. She is so much happier! As for the formula change, it is an adjustment for us as well as Nora. The GI doc said it could take up to 4 weeks for the dairy protiens to completely leave her system. She doesn't like the bottle very much, but her tummy seems to feel a little better already-though both her and I miss nursing and it has only been one day!

We are hoping these changes will make her little tummy get better! I must say not having her cry in pain the last two nights has been glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment